Updates & Resources Regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Updated May 8th, 2020
Thank you to all the healthcare providers and staff on the front lines of this crisis! MediSYS is here to support you every step of the way!
- Sometime ago, MediSYS implemented technologies necessary for our staff to continue to provide remote support and assistance to our clients.
- MediSYS remains fully operational and will continue to provide the excellent service and support that our clients have come to expect.
- To allow providers more flexibility, MediSYS provides tools for Telehealth and patient payments via text.
May 7, 2020 – UHC will waive all cost sharing for Medicare Advantage primary care and specialist visits beginning May 11, 2020 until at least Sept. 30, 2020.
May 5, 2020 – Medicaid Coronavirus Updates https://medicaid.alabama.gov/news_detail.aspx?ID=13729
May 1, 2020 – CMS issued new changes in their April 30th announcement to expand telehealth for Medicare reimbursement, allowing physical and occupational therapists and speech language pathologists. Read the full announcement for more key updates.
April 26, 2020 – In light of the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund (more info on this below) CMS is reevaluating the amounts that will be paid under its Accelerated Payment Program and suspending its Advance Payment Program to Part B suppliers effective immediately. CMS will not be accepting any new applications for the Advance Payment Program, and CMS will be reevaluating all pending and new applications for Accelerated Payment.
The CARES Act Provider Relief Fund was approved by Congress and will distribute $175 billion in funds to healthcare providers. HHS is distributing this money through the Provider Relief Fund, and these payments do not need to be repaid. For more information on the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund and how to apply, visit hhs.gov/providerrelief.
United Healthcare Timely Filing Update: Claims with a date of service on or after Jan. 1, 2020 will not be denied for timely filing deadlines if submitted by June 30, 2020.
UPDATE: CMS Delays Interoperability Final Rule Roll Out Due to COVID-19. Due to concerns over the coronavirus, CMS had pushed back the deadline for meeting the requirements of the recent Interoperability and Patient Access final rule. For more information visit: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Interoperability/index
- 8 Steps to Start Performing Telemedicine Visits to Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
- Telehealth Tools Provided by MediSYS
- COVID-19 Updates:
- MASA COVID-19 Resources: https://alabamamedicine.org/coronavirus/physician-resources/
- DEA allows for the use of telehealth and telephone to prescribe controlled substances.
- BCBS of AL – General Updates AlabamaBlue.com/Providers/Coronavirus
- UPDATE from BCBS of AL on April 16 –
Expanded BCBS of AL Telehealth Coverage Extended to June 1 – As we continue to support providers and patients during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, we have extended our Telehealth Coverage Guidelines through June 1, 2020. We will begin a monthly review process on May 1, 2020, for the duration of the telehealth extension to determine a continuance.
- BCBS of AL Telehealth Coverage for AWVs
- BCBS of AL COVID-19 Coding Guide
- BCBS of AL Telehealth Billing Guide
- CMS/Medicare NEWSROOM
- CMS Telemedicine Toolkit
- CMS Latest Updates
- CMS letter to clinicians including information about telehealth and virtual visits, accelerated and advanced payments, and recent waiver information.
- Patient Communication Tool with MediSYS Using Select Recall
- MediSYS PatienTXT – contact-less patient payments via text
- BCBS Patient Resources https://www.bcbsal.org/web/coronavirus
MIPS / Medicaid PI
- CMS extended the 2019 MIPS data submission deadline by 30 days. The new deadline is April 30th, 2020.
- Additionally, eligible clinicians who have not submitted any MIPS data by April 30, 2020 will automatically be assigned the extreme and uncontrollable circumstances policy and will receive a neutral payment adjustment for the 2021 MIPS payment year. Please note, CMS has updated the QPP Participation Status Tool so eligible clinicians can see if the policy has been automatically applied.
- View details about the CMS COVID-19 response and the EU&C on the Fact Sheet here: QPP – COVID-19 Response (updated 4/14/2020).
- Alabama Medicaid’s Promoting Interoperability (PI) has extended their 2019 applications deadline until to 11:59 p.m. April 15, 2020.
- CMS Adds New COVID-19 Clinical Trials Improvement Activity to the Quality Payment Program: Clinicians may now earn credit in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) for participation in a clinical trial and reporting clinical information by attesting to the new COVID-19 Clinical Trials improvement activity. CMS added a new high weighted improvement activity to the 2020 QPP Improvement Activities Inventory that promotes participation in COVID-19 clinical trials and clinical reporting for COVID-19 related care.
Cash Flow Assistance for Practices
- CMS and the Assistant Secretary of Preparedness and Response (ASPR) released a new toolkit to help state and local healthcare decision makers maximize workforce flexibilities when confronting 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in their communities. To view the COVID-19 Healthcare Workforce Toolkit, visit: https://asprtracie.hhs.gov/Workforce-Virtual-Toolkit
- Medicare Advanced Payments: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/Accelerated-and-Advanced-Payments-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Paycheck Protection Program: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/paycheck-protection-program#section-header-0
- BCBS of Alabama: Blue Cross is closely monitoring the outbreak of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and will publish information and updates.
- Medicare: CMS also expanded Medicare telehealth coverage that will enable beneficiaries to receive a wider range of healthcare services from their doctors without having to travel to a healthcare facility.
- Alabama Medicaid: Subscribe to Medicaid’s texting service to receive immediate text messages regarding to the COVID-19.
- United Healthcare: UHCprovider.com/covid19
- Humana: Coronavirus Updates
- Tricare: https://tricare.mil/coronavirus
- CMS Newsroom: https://cms.gov/newsroom
- MGMA: https://www.mgma.com/landing-pages/covid-19-resource-center
- CDC Website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/
- Alabama Department of Public Health: http://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/infectiousdiseases/2019-coronavirus.html