CMS extended the eRX hardship exemption deadline to Nov. 8thNovember 02nd, 2011
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced today that the deadline to request hardship exemptions from the 2012 penalty (1% payment reduction) has been extended to Tuesday Nov. 8th.
Eligible Professionals can submit their hardship exemption on the Quality Net website.
As a reminder, eligible professionals (EPs) must qualify for one or more of the following categories in order to submit a request for a hardship exemption by Nov. 8 to avoid the 2012 penalty which is a 1 percent payment reduction in 2012:
- Inability to electronically prescribe due to local, state, or federal law or regulation
- Limited prescribing activity
- Insufficient opportunities to report the electronic prescribing measure
- Practice in a rural area without sufficient high speed internet access
- Practice in an area without sufficient available pharmacies for electronic prescribing
- Registered to participate in the Medicare or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for 2011 and have adopted Certified EHR technology
For more information on the CMS e-prescribing incentive program, visit the CMS eRX webpage.